SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE AND READ THE BOOK!!!!
Hi readers!!! Yesterday, I went to see The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones that just came out!!!! I was so excited!!! Before I even sat down to watch the movie I was like:
Anyways, I was super excited. So when it came time for the movie to start I was still pretty much like this:
So I kept my excitement on the inside so I could actually focus on the movie.
My reivew: The movie did a pretty good job of bringing the story to life. The details to characters, storyline (used of a lot of quotes from the actual book), places, and everything were really good!
The actor and actresses playing the main characters were amazing! Props to Lily Collins & Jamie Campbell Bower for doing justice to the characters of Clary and Jace. They had the same characteristics. The same goes for the rest of the cast! Shout out to the actors/actresses that played Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, and Hodge for acting wonderfully. The only person I felt really didn’t fit was the actor who played Valentine. If I remember correctly Valentine’s physical features were way different in the book.
The attention to detail of the places was fantastic! My favorite (best-done) scenes were the The Institute, the old hotel where the vampire fight takes place and the City of Bones. The City of Bones especially! It gave off that same eerie feeling like when I was reading the book. And the silent monks in real life? Supremely creepy! Also the demons featured in the movie were cool and creepy as well.
Now guaranteed when you make a book movie, you can’t fit all those pages of awesomeness into an almost two hour movie. But you take what you can get! Here are my complaints/things I noticed:
- I felt the Jace and Clary kiss scene was over the top, especially when that cheesy music came in, that kinda killed the moment for me.
- Instead of Simon turning into a rat when kidnapped by vampires like in the book, he is instead chained up and left to freeze to death.
- The fight scene between Jace and Valentine was a little too drawn out.
- I felt that they were trying to promote this movie like any other YA book movie in the fantasy genre the comes out.
Overall my final verdict is:
I genuinely love this movie! It was a great adaptation of the book! This is a must-see for Mortal instruments fans or any other people who like fantasy/paranormal genre movies! Five out of five stars!
What did you think of the movie? Leave your thoughts in the comments!
- ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’ review (sfgate.com)
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie review! (fandomsnews.com)
- Why fans should see ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’ opening week (examiner.com)
- Review Round-Up: ‘The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones’ (contactmusic.com)
- THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES Review (collider.com)
- Film: Movie Review: The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones (avclub.com)